Tuesday, March 10, 2020

A FREDGraph Technique

I created this graph from scratch, modeled after one I did back in January:


It's a comparison of financial business (red) and nonfinancial business (blue) shares of Corporate Profits, from 1929 to 2018. But what it's a graph of is not the point just now.

I wanted to get rid of the jiggy lines on the left there, from 1929 to 1933:


Okay. Those jiggy lines at the left are gone.

Then, to test something I noticed FRED doing, I clicked "Max" to restore the graph to its default 1929 start date, and eliminated the years before 1933 by a different method:


Notice the difference in the plot window! All the whitespace above the 100 level is gone. All the whitespace below the zero level is gone. And the two plotted lines have expanded to use the available space. So it's easier to read the wiggles in the lines. Now I'm happy.

A useful technique thing to know.

No comments: