Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Warehouse 13

I don't bother with "apps" on Amazon Prime Video because they're just not worth the trouble: downloading and installing and typing in codes to make em work, then doing the whole thing over again because it didn't work the first time. There was a new one the other day: "IMDB FreeDive" in eye-catching yellow. I skipped over it several times. Then I happened to notice that one of the shows it offers is "Warehouse 13".

I heard of that one. Somebody made reference to it, just enough of a comment to stir up my interest several years back. Things like that, I remember. So I figured I'd try installing the FreeDive and see how far I got. Well it was no problem at all. There's no installation. You basically just turn it on. And now I've seen half a dozen episodes of Warehouse 13 in the past week. It's a fun show to watch.

But that's not why I'm writing today.


There was a scene in the episode titled Elements that put me on high alert, earlier today while I was watching it. I finished the episode, then went to SpringfieldSpringfield for the transcript.

The scene starts 26 minutes into the episode and lasts about a minute. It has series regular Myka (hot girl) & episode character Jeffrey Weaver (wealthy man) at dinner in the hospital cafeteria:
"What made you join the secret service?" Weaver asks.

"It was either that or prison," Myka replies. Then, after a pause: "I'm kidding." Then: "What about you? I mean, what is it you do exactly?"

"Accrue interest," Weaver says. "Re-invest. Try to do something good with it."

"That's a nice life," she says.

"Well, it depends on how you got it," Weaver says.

"Your father."

"My father, yeah," he replies.

"And you don't wanna follow in his footsteps. Is that it?"

"I wanna erase his footsteps," Weaver says. Another pause. "What?"

"I'm trying to decide," Myka says, "if I'm sitting here with a good guy or a bad guy."
That's it. That was the line I needed to quote in context: Myka sitting at dinner with a wealthy guy, trying to decide if he's a good guy or a bad guy.

That's how the economy works on TV, and in the minds of too many people. But that's not the economy that I know.

Sure, I suppose it matters if the guy's a good guy or a bad guy. But that's not where the economic problem arises. The economic problem is simply that the guy has a huge amount of money.

Think of money as matter that has mass. Mass can create a gravity well. A large accumulation of money creates an economic distortion similar to a gravity well.

That's the economic problem. It has nothing to do with whether the guy is a good guy. The problem is in the monetary balances. The problem is that monetary balances eventually become monetary imbalances, and then the economy goes haywire.

No comments: