Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Why didn't I think of this before?

Debt service includes the payment of interest and the payment of some portion of existing debt.

FRED has household debt service (as a percent of disposable personal income). They have household debt, and household interest paid, and disposable personal income.

I can set up a calculation where I take interest paid, add some percentage of existing debt, and divide the total by disposable income. Then I can tweak the percentage number to get my calculated number close to FRED's debt service number on a graph. The percentage number I get will be a rough estimate of how much debt we repay each year.

This calculation assumes that we pay the same percentage of our income our debt every year. Is that a good assumption? Well, the graph will show us. If the lines run near parallel from start to finish, it is a good assumption. We could then say that, on average, we repay so-and-so percent of our debt every year. But if the two lines veer apart, it's not a good assumption.

My method will be to try different percentage numbers till I find one that brings the lines close together. I know there is a better way, regression or "least squares" or something, but I don't know the one and don't remember the other. So I'll just guess and see how it turns out.

Graph #1: Household Debt Service since 1980 (blue) and my calculation (red)
Okay, if I narrow the graph at FRED, part of the upper-border text goes missing. That's unacceptable. So I left the thing the default width, made it taller, and saved the image, then shrunk it down more than I normally do to fit the blog space. As a result, the text on this graph is smaller that usual and more difficult to read. Thanks a lot, FRED. (To see the graph bigger, of course, you can just click it.)

The blue runs a little above the red at the start and end, and a couple spots between; the two run tight together in a couple places; and blue runs a little below red for the rest. I'm saying they run nearly parallel and pretty close together.

The graph says that on average, we repay about 4.5% of our debt each year.

Couple thoughts:
  • I can look at the discrepancy, the difference between red and blue, and try to find how the differences arise. Recession-related? Recovery-related? ExtremeDebtBurden-related?
  • I can work backwards and calculate the percentage repayment numbers instead of guessing them. Might be interesting to see that.

Something else: If I'm satisfied that my red-line calculation is good, rough but good, then I should be able to say that the red line is an estimate of household debt service all the way back to the late 1940s. That would be useful.

1 comment:

The Arthurian said...

When interest rates are rising, people would not want to pay off their old debt quickly and borrow more at higher rates.

When interest rates are falling, people would want to pay down the old (high interest) debt quickly, and borrow new at lower rates.

I wonder if I can see this in the debt service data since 1980, and come up with a calculation for the years *before* 1980 when rates were going up.