Saturday, August 31, 2019

The guy who fixes my lawn mower has a lot to say

The guy who fixes my lawn mower says
I have one rule that applies to every machine that comes into my shop: I have to know why it's doing what it's doing before I can fix it.
I think the people who work on fixing the economy need a rule like that, too. I have a rule like that. I said as much just the other day:
I would want to figure out which of the [so-called causes] perhaps contribute [to the problem] and which is the driving force that created the problem in the first place. Because if you never solve the original problem, you never solve the problem.
I s'pose the powers that be would say they have rules like that, or better ones. Maybe. But I sure don't see it.

Oh, you know, they probably have rules like that for things they don't understand. They're very careful about such things, in their own way, with their models and all. But when it comes to things they think they understand, they consistently go with the dumbed-down drivel. Again, they'd probably say they have those things worked out already, so they don't need a rule like you might need if you're fixing a lawn mower.

But the economy changes. And this means that the cause of a particular problem may not be the same as it was the last time you had that problem. Especially after an event like the Global Financial Crisis of a decade back, you have to test every assumption.

"I have to know why it's doing what it's doing before I can fix it."

1 comment:

sobia said...

I like to recommend exclusively fine plus efficient information and facts, hence notice it: zero turn mowers