Sunday, February 7, 2021

Where I've been and where I'm going

The last time I had a Sunday post it was Cost Pressure and Long-Term Decline. In that post I said the following:

  • Cost-push is just like demand-pull except that cost pressure exists.
  • Cost pressure need not be short-lived.
  • Finance causes long-term cost pressure and the decline of economic growth.

I also categorized the post as "Cost Pressure and the Decline of Civilization" to make clear what I meant by "Long-Term" in the title.

I summarize that post because brief is good and briefer is better. I summarize it because the idea -- that the cost pressure created by finance may be responsible for the long-term decline of economic growth -- is important if true, to say the very least. And I summarize it because I've never seen anyone else tie finance to economic decline through a cost-push mechanism. So, now you've seen it twice.

And yes, I get the same impression proofreading the above that I got from reading the earlier post: I describe a couple properties of cost-push (or "cost pressure" as I call it) and then out of the blue I'm blaming finance for creating the problem. Maybe I need a smoother transition there.

This post is me skirting the foothills of that problem.

No comments: