Wednesday, February 22, 2023

A 2005 warning of the 2008 financial crisis

Among the early warnings I've seen for the 2008 financial crisis, this one is the earliest:

Graph #1: Personal Consumption Expenditures as a Percent of Disposable Personal Income

That 2005 peak in spending is the earliest warning I can remember.

Makes sense, I guess, given that yesterday I discovered our mortgage interest payments don't come out of our disposable personal income (!) if you can believe that.

It was, after all, a "housing" crisis.

I notice also that the general downtrend (to the early 1970s) followed by uptrend does seem to match the path of personal saving (as a % of DPI) if you invert it. It all seems to work together.


Regarding that personal saving graph -- somebody should compare the WWII increase to the covid increase, and estimate the inflation we will have seen by the time prices "stabilize" again. Just to see if MV=PQ has any validity at all...

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Here's a 2004 warning

The Arthurian said...

Good one!
Should I think I'm not the only one keeping an eye out for early warnings of that crisis?